Easiest Drawstring Pouch Ever

So the birthday party is today and I stayed up quite late making favor bags for our little guests.  I know, a little crazy.  At least my husband thought so.  But I seriously whipped up 14 drawstring bags in about an hour and a half (still have to put drawstrings in half of them - did not tell husband I would be making a trip to Michael's for red grosgrain ribbon this morning!).  So I thought I 'd share how I made them.


Supplies:
2 pieces of fabric 10" x 8" or desired size
drawstring (grosgrain ribbon, twill tape, bias tape, etc)
coordinating thread
seam ripper

*Note: I used a serger for almost everything and that is definitely part of what makes it fast, but you can use a regular sewing machine.  Anywhere I serged, do a line of straight stitches & then zig zag over the raw edge.  It will take a little longer, but will still be pretty quick.

1.  Determine how big you want the pouch.  Add an extra inch to the sides and and extra 3 inches to the height (I'm allowing for the top of the bag to be cinched here, you only losing an inch and a half sewing the bottom and casing for the drawstring).  I cut my fabric 8" by 10".  Cut as many pieces as you need.  Assembly line, Henry Ford was on to something...


2.  With right sides together, sew the sides and bottom with a 1/2" seam allowance.  I do this in one continuous line on the serger.  Stop about 1/4" before the corner with needles up, lift up your presser foot & turn your fabric to the next side.


3.  Sew around the top.


Now you should have a nice little pile.


4.  Turn the bag right side out and press it open.  Press the top of the bag down & into the bag an extra 1/2" beyond your stitching lines.






5.  On a regular sewing machine, stitch all the way around, 1/2" from the top (or wide enough to fit whatever drawstring you are using).  Really, all the way around, I know, we have to get a drawstring in there, don't worry!

6.  Now take your seam ripper and open one side seam above the stitching line you just completed.  I wish I could take credit for that idea, but I first saw it in Heather Ross' Weekend Sewing book - genius!



7.  Attach a safety pin to one end of your drawstring and feed it through the channel you created.


8.  Knot the ends of your drawstring.  If you used grosgrain ribbon, you can hold the ends above a candle until the end just barely starts to melt & then it won't unravel.
All finished.  Eat some chocolate, unless it is 1am.


9.  If that was too easy, you can box the corners to make the bag stand up better.


Just line up one side seam with the bottom seam and sew perpendicular to that line - in about 2 inches.  Repeat on the other side.

Really all finished!

Comments

Popular Posts