Cabbage & Sausage Soup

I know, doesn't quite sound like a summer dinner.  But, we had all this in the garden:


At some point, I know I have made a similar soup from a recipe using kale, but I wasn't able to find it, so I just winged it and used what I had on hand.



Ingredients:
1-2T Olive Oil
2-3 Italian Sausage links (I used chicken)
1 Onion, diced
4 Celery stalks, diced (and celery heart)
4-5 Carrots, peeled and sliced
1 Carton chicken broth
2 cans of beans (I used black & great northern/cannelini)
8 Cabbage Leaves
Fresh Herbs (I used parsley & sage)
Seasonings (I used S&P and a little nutmeg)
1T Apple Cider Vinegar
Parm, for serving

Directions:
1. Drizzle olive oil over large soup pot and heat on medium.  Squeeze the sausages out of their casings and crumble with a wooden spoon (pretty gross, I know).  Cook until no longer pink.


2.  I don't chop the veggies up first, I just do it as I go.  Start with the veggies that take the longest to cook and add them as you finish choping.  I do onions, celery and then carrots.  Season with pepper and minimal salt.  Cook until softened.


3.  Add the chicken broth, 2 cups water, and both cans of beans (rinsed & drained).  I also add the herbs I am using and the heart of celery, which gives a lot of flavor & looks like this:


Just throw it in like this & remember to take it out before serving.



4.  Simmer the stock on medium until the veggies are cooked to your liking, probably about 20-25 minutes.

5.  While the soup simmers, prepare your cabbage.  Cut the ribs out:


and chiffonade your leaves like so:


couldn't resist a picture of the ribs, don't they look like little trees?


6.  Now add the cabbage and cook about 5 more minutes or until it is wilted.  Remove from heat and add the apple cider vinegar.


A pretty nice lunch!






Wow, this is really filling for soup!

Comments

  1. Thanks Courtney. I love cabbage and sausage!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I try to answer as many as I can, but if you need an answer and don't have an email address linked to your profile, I will reply here. Thanks!

Popular Posts