Lots of Baby Bok Choy and Thai Green Curry

I bought quite a lot of baby bok choy from Farmer's Fresh Market yesterday.  My dear hostess (I can't believe she takes orders for a truckload of produce and eggs and keeps it all organized for us every other week!) said "did you know you purchased a whole case?" No, I guess I didn't realize how cheaply they sold bok choy.  When she asked what I was going to do with it and I replied something about finding some asian or thai recipe with a curry or something, she mentioned a great coconut curry recipe on allrecipe.com with chicken and bok choy and fresh pineapple.

I couldn't find the recipe, but couldn't let go of the idea, so I kind of winged it.  I've made a curry/coconut base plenty times before and I just bought tons more veggies to make it healthier.  Here's what I came up with:


Here's what you'll need:

1 Cup jasmine rice
1T canola oil
1/4 Cup thai red or green curry paste (in little jar)
1 pack of chicken cutlets
1 can Coconut Milk (I used lite, but the full fat version is MUCH tastier, but MUCH fattier)
2T fish sauce
assorted vegetables (I used shiitake mushroom, thai eggplant, mini sweet peppers, bok choy)
A can of bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and/or baby corn 
1 Cup fresh pineapple chunks
basil leaves & lime wedges for serving

Directions:
1.  Combine rice and two cups water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, place a lid on it and allow to simmer 20 -25 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, heat a large saute pan with oil and curry paste.  Add chicken cutlets and allow to sear about 2 minutes on one side and flip.  If using, add sliced thai eggplants at this time.  Add coconut milk and fish sauce and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and let mixture simmer.

3.  Begin adding vegetables to mixture.  I try to add things that take longer to cook first.  So after the eggplants, I went in this order:  peppers, bok choy, mushrooms and then the canned items.  Cook until chicken is no longer pink in middle and veggies are starting to soften but are still bright and colorful.  


4.  Remove from heat, stir in pineapple and plate over rice.  Tear some basil leaves over the plates and serve with limes.  This was not quite as spicy as we were hoping, so we added a little siracha sauce and it was pretty darn yummy.

Okay, so let me know if you have any other recipes that call for bok choy, I hardly made a dent in it...




Comments

Popular Posts