Apple Picking

 *warning - this post is heavy on family photos & the crafty/sewing aspect is non-existent!

We decided we could not let another fall go by without heading to the North Carolina mountains for an apple picking trip.  For years we've heard how cool Sky Top Orchard is and when I checked out their website I was smitten.  Then I saw something about "made while you watch" apple cider cake donuts.


Then I glanced at their Area Attractions page and realized Flat Rock was quite the little foodie town.  That sealed the deal.  We settled on the funky looking Flat Rock Village Bakery as our first stop  on the tour.  The plan was to get sandwiches to go and have a picnic at the orchard (on the fall quilt, of course).  They had better plans for us as only pizza and salad was offered and, boy, was it yummy!  We ate it on their artsy little deck and couldn't believe how warm it was.

Jack waiting on his pizza

Andrew, also waiting on pizza
We loved seeing the cute little town with its art galleries and restaurants (most claiming local and organic food).  There were quite a few bikes at the Bakery.  I was talking about moving here and starting our own little farm.  Andrew wasn't quite sold on rural life.

setting off down the mountain
Sky Top was everything we hoped, except we realized some of our favorite apple varieties were ready to be picked in September.  Good to know for next year, but we got lots of granny smith, pink ladies and gala apples.

Jack was pretty excited at being encouraged, for once, to climb a tree

My poor kids dressed in corduroy and it was about 80 degrees and a lot of walking up and down hills!


"I got one" first apple

the boys loved the extensive playground



 The apple cake donuts were a huge hit, but this photo above is all the evidence we have!  They went fast and I was too busy eating to take photos.

We are definitely making this a fall family tradition!

Hope you had a great weekend, too!

Comments

  1. That looks like so much fun. I would love to do that one year too. Thanks for the great review. I can tell y'all had a great time!
    Love your new header too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I try to answer as many as I can, but if you need an answer and don't have an email address linked to your profile, I will reply here. Thanks!

Popular Posts