Smoothies and Another Quilting Injury

Okay, first up I have been on a major smoothie kick lately.  I thought I'd share two recipes I've been experimenting with lately:


Blueberry Lemon Pie
1 Cup Milk (I use skim cow milk, but you could use any kind)
1 Cup frozen blueberries
1 T fat free sugar free jello lemon pudding/pie filling
1 scoop whey protein powder

Taste of the Islands
1 C vanilla coconut milk (like this, it comes in the carton, I get it at Trader Joe's and have seen it at Target)
1/3 C each of frozen mangoes, pineapple and raspberries
1 scoop whey protein powder

These are such and easy breakfast and they keep me full until lunch with a work out in between.

Okay, now to the quilting injury.  I free motion quilted the entire Patchwork Prism Quilt top and batting last night (yes no backing, I am doing a binding-less quilt, again).  Toward the end I was noticing a severe pain in my palm where I was pressing to move the fabric around my sewing machine table.  Did I stop?  No!  I was almost finished!


So I pushed through the pain and then today I realized my whole palm was bruised and swollen on the  fleshy part by my thumb (technical, I know).  Not quite as bad a sewing related injury as my last one: a needle all the way through my middle finger nail and out the other side (which my dad had to pull out with pliers at 1 in the morning(Andrew was out of town, naturally)). That one actually stopped hurting after the needle was out, but this one keeps going.  Further exacerbated by my workout this morning.  I swear that the instructor had us spending most of our time with palms on the floor supporting our full body weight.  There were push-ups, planks, tricep dips, side planks, etc. I am too competitive to back off, so I suffered through.


I made the picture small so I wouldn't gross you out.  The purple-y color didn't show up, but you can tell it's a little wierd & puffy.  Ever happened to anyone else before?  I had no idea quilting was such a risky endeavor!

I am off to get the back on this quilt and flip it so I can start my hand quilting and knotting. I promise I will go to bed at a decent hour even if I am not finished.  Because I know the hazards of working into the wee hours of the night, and it's not just being grumpy the next day!




Comments

  1. I really do not know how you did that! It looks horrible. I do know, however, that working into the night breeds some crazy things. A friend of mine longarmed a quilt and gave it to me tonight. I was so excited to bind it. Once the binding was on, I went to the kitchen where I found the sink overflowing..luckily into the next sink, but the water had been going for 40 min...quilting just gets us crazy sometimes! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like it hurts! I'm no doctor, so take this for what it is worth... you may have aggravated arthritis in your joint there where your thumb meets the rest of the hand. You should probably go see a Dr. and get it checked out, if it isn't back to normal soon (like tomorrow) in case you might have gotten a stress fracture or something. In the mean time, I hope you are at least icing it and taking an anti-inflammatory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it is feeling better... That looks like it hurts a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I try to answer as many as I can, but if you need an answer and don't have an email address linked to your profile, I will reply here. Thanks!

Popular Posts