The itsy bitsy spider

Both of my boys love(d) this song.  They actually still ask for it at bedtime sometimes.  So when I saw Heather Ross' new line, Nursery Versery, I knew that this was a print destined to make it into my stash.  I spied some essex linen in a gray color and knew I had to make pants.  When Rachel announced her Nursery Versery Contest, I knew I had to make them right. now.

I actually broke my own #1 garment sewing rule and did not pre-wash the fabric.  I felt okay about this because 1) the pattern is plenty roomy for my kids and 2) both fabrics were a very similar weight linen.  Thank goodness it worked out in the end.


So last night I spent a few minutes deciding which pattern to use and ultimately chose the Treasure Pocket Pants in the Sewing for Boys book. Since I only had 1/2 a yard of the spiders, I went with the size 2/3 (oh, how I love it when my pattern is already traced onto freezer paper and cut out - makes it go so much faster!).


These are becoming my go to boy pants pattern.  I just love all the details and how you can use a novelty fabric without them looking like pajamas.  Which seems to happen any other time I use cutesy prints on clothes.  Plus sewing with single fold bias tape (the casing for the elastic in the pockets) just makes me happy because I am dorky like that.


My model was thrilled and had to wear them today.  Luckily we had time for a quick spin in the wash  and they came out just right.  And nice and soft.  I really like this lightweight linen the Nursery Versery line is printed on.

Lounging 
My model was too tired to stand up for more shots, but not tired enough for a nap, obviously


I simply could not not add an embroidered spider. Good thing, because that's Will's favorite part.  He showed it to everyone today, telling them "My mom made these pants and she even sewed a spider on!  Wanta see him?!!?"  He makes my heart melt a little. 

So, go on, get some Nursery Versery and make something to enter.  Actually don't; I really like my chances as the only entry at the moment & I really would like to win the line in half yards : )

I am linking up to Katey's Handmade Parade today!  Check out all the hand stitched awesome-ness.



Comments

  1. These are the cutest of all cutes...You did a wonderful job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the cutest version I have ever seen! What an honor to have produced your go-to pants pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney,
    Those are wonderful!! You do such a great job at sewing for your boys, and I too love the little spider you added. Hope you win.

    Karen E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, they are adorable! I love the spider, and I love that he loves to show it to everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are fast! Love the treasure pocket spider pants. I'm working with the plum country mice, but have only gotten so far as to wash my fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way cute! That embroidery is the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome and cute! Love the embroidered spider as well. My daughter loved the "bitsy pider" as she called it back in the day, and would have loved those pants, too. Even the embroidered spider.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh he is a sweetheart! I love that little spider you added! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just love the spider. Was wondering whether you could use the fabric for a boy.. and you definitely can!

    ReplyDelete
  10. very cute pants! love the fabric line outside and like your boy, my favorite is the spider!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, the spider!! Those are just too perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Makes me wish I had a little boy to sew for!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh! The cutest! That emroidered spider is the perfect touch! Your little boy is just adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ack!!! I am totally LOVING these!!! I can't wait to be making some more TPP for the fall for both V & H!! Amazing fabric choice, I need to get my hands on some of that fabric!! And, your little spider, perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. these are SO awesome, Courtney!! love them to pieces and the spider is fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the cutest thing EVER!! I love that little embroidered spider...genius.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome pants!!! I love everything about them...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the little spider too. And his telling everyone is so sweet

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are fab and your spider is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Absolutely adorable!! And how cute is that little spider?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes well I too would show off my mum's spider if it looked that cute. It is really good to see some clothing for boys so I must check out that pattern you used. Good luck in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  22. these are super adorable. love that little stitched spider, too! such a nice little touch. i'm working on my project for this contest, and was hoping no one else entered, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw these are gorgeous! I'm not even going to try and enter now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are so sweet, they look so comfy! And I love the spider :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. These pants are the cutest! Love the designer-touch spider, too...tee hee! I really like Sewing for Boys; there's not enough out there for boys' things, and that one's a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The embroidered spider is the perfect touch on those pants! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Choosing just 3 finalists is going to be way to hard! These pants are great. You're right - such a clever way to use a fun print without making them look like pjs. Adorable and your little one is lucky!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I try to answer as many as I can, but if you need an answer and don't have an email address linked to your profile, I will reply here. Thanks!

Popular Posts