Wednesday, April 10, 2013

What it is...

The biggest source of shame and anxiety in my large Work In Progress pile, is, of course, my pile of Farmer's Wife Quilt Along blocks. I appear to have started this in July of 2011, with great gusto, as usual.  It actually kept up some momentum for a while and I left you at the point where I had gotten to about 70 blocks made and was "hoping to finish it up in early summer."  Of last year.


So what went so wrong?  Well, I started realizing that I knew hardly anything about precision piecing (or cutting) when I began this QAL.  Meaning a lot of my early blocks are not quite the right size, or at least the points would be lost in the seam allowances when I join them.  As my piecing got better I made some really accurate blocks and then when I switched to foundation paper piecing, they are pretty much perfect.


This unsettling fact about the earlier blocks being a bit wonky discouraged me from making any more and left me confused about what to do with the many hours and beautiful fabric I poured into these blocks. Then I saw Monica Solorio Snow's Farmer's Wife Quilt and decided I could do something less conventional with my blocks. 

At the moment I am thinking something Tetris inspired.  The bottom 2/3 of the quilt will be filled up with blocks, sashed in white, in neat rows and the top portion will feature the blocks tumbling down into the rows.  I have almost all of the bottom rows sashed and am awaiting a delivery of more bella white solid.  We'll see how the more unstructured top portion turns out, this is surely a task I could use a design wall for!

So here's to embracing it for what it is, a great learning experience, a showcase of some of my favorite fabrics and maybe even a display of a few darn accurately pieced blocks!

3 comments:

  1. Such a great idea! Can't wait to see the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to see it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great. Now you have a showcase of your progress as a piecer. It'd be fun to have that in the label and some day maybe your great grandkids will be able to look back and see your perserverence. It'll be a good example :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! I try to answer as many as I can, but if you need an answer and don't have an email address linked to your profile, I will reply here. Thanks!