Framed Floral {Block Tutorial}

March is my month to be a quilter for Haven Circle of do. Good Stitches.  I love how fun it is to plan the quilt and pick a block for everyone to make.  That might be the part I love most about quilting, aside from picking fabric!

I think this is going to be our #havendgs block for march

Can you tell I've been dreaming of spring?  I sketched a simple block and figured out the measurements of the borders.

Planning

If you would like to make a block you will need three different fabrics: floral, near solid and low volume/white background.
Here are the cutting directions to make a 12.5" block*:
3.5" Square - floral
(2)1.5 x 3.5" and (2) 1.5 x 5.5" rectangles of near solid
(2) 2 x 5.5" and (2) 2 x 8.5" rectangles of white
(2) 1.5 x 8.5" and (2) 1.5 x 10.5" rectangles of floral
(2) 2.5 x 10.5" and (2) 2.5 x 13" rectangles of white*

*This will actually make a slightly larger 13" square, but I thought it was better to trim off a little excess white than to end up shy of 12.5" square.  

DGS march block

I put the strips together courthouse-step style.  As in I started at the center and joined the top and bottom strips and then the side, rather than in a clockwise fashion, like a log cabin block.  I definitely recommend pressing and a little starch between each frame to keep a nice square.

March block #havendgs #dogoodstitches


If you make any blocks, I'd love for you to add them to the Petit Lyons flickr pool!

Have a great Thursday! xo, Courtney

Comments

Popular Posts