my small world QAL {section 1}

Well, I love to jump on a quilt-a-long bandwagon, that's for sure!  Of course, I could not resist the #mysmallworldqal over on Instagram and here in blogland, too.  I found the special issue of Quiltmania with Jen Kingwell's pattern at my local Barnes & Noble and couldn't wait to get started.

As soon as I got the magazine, I got right to work on the sky and buildings section.  I generally try to cut my scraps into usable sizes now when I am sewing and have a few big boxes with 5, 2.5, 2 and 1.5" squares so I (foolishly) thought I'd probably have enough low volume squares to make this section.  Ha ha.  Someone counted up all the 1.5" squares for the sky in this quilt, and I believe it is 731!  In any case, I made a mess of the sewing room but also this fun little section.

Got the magazine and sky made yesterday and finished the buildings at naptime - now on to the fun, colorful portion of panel 1 tomorrow #mysmallworldqal

I couldn't wait to use some Heather Ross Tiger Lily, that happened to arrive during the making of those buildings (the yellow butterflies and pink ballerina).

Buildings

Now that the buildings were complete, I got to move on to the "fun part."

For as long as I can remember I preferred creating on a minute scale, so these blocks make me very happy #mysmallworldqal

Teeny, tiny, colorful patchwork!  Be still, my heart.

I pretty much threw those little templates out the window for most blocks and just made HST and trimmed them down to size.  For a few sections, mostly the other kinds of triangles, I made paper piecing patterns by tracing the templates - so much more accurate for me.

I did the curved block at the bottom left using the templates and I did the needle turn applique as directed, too.  Glad I took Carolyn Friedlander's Aerial Grove class at Quiltcon, although needle turned applique is so much easier on organic shapes that don't need to be perfectly placed on a block.

Close up

So here is the full Section 1, in all of it's 12.5x33" glory!


Panel 1 is finished and I will not start oanel 2 until I cross a few things off my to do list!  #mysmallworldqal

I am linking up with Quilt Dad today (who has some brilliant ideas on using cheater prints to cut down on the work a little) and hoping to be able to keep pace with this one. At the moment it is quite hard to sew anything else.

My Small World QAL

Comments

  1. You are doing a beautiful job on this quilt. I lost interest since I waited far too long for my magazine to arrive. (It just arrived this weekend and I ordered it the first day the QAL was announced ) 😢

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I try to answer as many as I can, but if you need an answer and don't have an email address linked to your profile, I will reply here. Thanks!

Popular Posts