September in Books

Here's what my reading life looked like in September:


This has been in my TBR pile since high school when someone told me if I loved The Thornbirds, I needed to read The Shell Seekers.  I probably shouldn't have waited so long, but I am a big believer that you have to read the right book at the right time to get the most out of it.  This was most definitely the right time, although I predict I may read this a few more times given the chance.  I loved the backstory of the artist colony on the British coast as well as the modern day story of adult siblings and their aging mother, Penelope.  I loved Penelope.  Definitely one of those characters you want to have as a friend in real life.

Charlotte's Web (1953) was my selection for September to read out loud with the boys.  Just as satisfying as ever and one of the best hooks in kidlit:  "Where's Papa going with that axe?"

I finished The Orchid Thief (1998) last night.  Initially, I was devouring this book and then it just kind of stalled on me.  I do love a book that includes a lot of extra information when it is fascinating (I still think about all the cool beetles in The Zookeeper's Wife, the amazing inventions at the Chicago World Fair in The Devil in the White City and the world of racehorses and jockeys in Seabiscuit), but this one got a little bogged down for me.  Now that I'm through it I do like it better.  It is great writing and really a good story about people and Florida.

Silent Patient (2019) is way outside of my comfort zone, but it was selected for my neighborhood book club.  I was a little worried it would keep me up at night after seeing the cover, but I was completely fine.  It was an absorbing read and I didn't see the plot twist until the last minute.  I think because the murder happened in the past it gave me some distance to feel safer.

I read this quick one to my hubby on the way to and from Charleston for our anniversary celebration. I was intrigued about MFK Fisher when I read Provence 1970 earlier this summer, and thought Consider the Oyster (1941) would be perfect before our oyster fest.

My friend Amber Crawley wrote Like A Dream (2019)  She's a great storyteller and I had so much fun with the book box she put together and the knit along with her beautiful yarn.  pssst..... she is taking pre-orders for her next book box for her upcoming In Light of Luna.

Whose Body? (1923) was a lot more fun than it sounds! A body turns up in a tub, naked save a comical pair of pince-nez spectacles, and no one can figure out who it is.  Lord Peter Wimsey, amateur detective and society darling, figures it all out with the help of his capable butler.

Most of the links in this post are affiliate programs.  If you click on something and purchase  it won't affect your price at all, although it I may receive a small compensation. For that I am most appreciative. 





Comments

Popular Posts