Pinecone Birdfeeders

I'm sure you've made them before.  I just thought I'd share a little twist on the idea that makes them so much fun for the little ones:


Step 1:  Put a ton of birdseed in a bowl and give the kids measuring cups and spoons to play with it.  They will loved the sensory experience.  Jack immediately said, "Can I just use my hands?"
Ask them to scoop some into a brown paper bag.






Step 2:  Tie a piece of yarn in a loop around the pinecone and generously smear with peanut butter.  Carefully drop into the brown paper bag, holding the top of the loop.


Step 3: Scrunch the bag closed around the loop and shake, shake, shake!  Not pictures of the shaking as I was covered in peanut butter by this point.





Step 4: Find some cool places to hang them.  Take it from us, put them higher than your dog can jump.  We learned this the hard way.  On more than one occasion.


Step 5:  Enjoy watching your feathered friends come over for a feast.  I spotted a woodpecker and blue jay amongst all the sparrows and chickadees we usually see.  Word is out!

Comments

Popular Posts