Aprons for Haiti

I finally had some time last night to settle into a project that has been on my mind for a while now.
I found Aprons for Haiti on facebook, through Rachael of Imagine Gnats.


I used this lovely tutorial from Cicada Daydream and the Botanika fabric from Paula Prass.  I am hoping to make a few more before the deadline, but as wonderful as this pattern is I may have to try a few more.  There are a lot of apron patterns popping up due to the popularity of this project - isn't that wonderful!  I am excited for Rachael's Artisan Apron pattern to come out on Pellon, and I'll add the link here when it does.  I love that it has pockets.

Source: http://imaginegnats.blogspot.com/2012/05/growing.html
Maureen Cracknell of has two cute tutorials here and here.   And I have always loved this Ruby Star Spring Apron from Whipstitch.  At some point I think I am going to make one for myself, too!



It's hard to read the project description and not want to make one (I took this from the facebook page):

PROJECT 17 :: APRONS FOR HAITI:
It is unlikely that the average Haitian woman will ever receive anything that is special and pretty, something just for herself. Daily life for the Haitian woman is grueling and backbreaking. Most have to carry 5-gallon buckets of water on their heads from miles away. Cooking is done in a pit in the ground from handmade charcoal. The few pieces of clothing they have are washed in the river and hung to dry.

To receive something as precious as an apron made with love from pretty new fabrics would go a long way in making a Haitian women feel special. We would love for you to join us as we sew and collect aprons for the women of Haiti!

Guidelines for Project Apron:
--Pretty-but-practical full or half aprons (nothing too frilly, ruffly or lacey)
--Washable fabrics only please
--Pockets are a plus
--You may include a handwritten note with your apron if you like. Someone will be available to translate when we deliver the aprons
--Please send all aprons to:
HAITI BY HAND
3333 Benton Road
Cedar Hill TN 37032
--Contact Rebecca at haitibyhand@att.net with any questions.






Comments

  1. your apron looks great! the pellon tutorial should be up soon :) thanks for the kudos!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I try to answer as many as I can, but if you need an answer and don't have an email address linked to your profile, I will reply here. Thanks!

Popular Posts