Shadowbox Tutorial

Disclaimer:  I was gifted the items to make this craft by Craftistas.  There is a widget at the bottom of the post that will allow you to purchase the items used through Craftistas.  Craftistas is also offering my readers a  10% discount with the code "craft13".

Baby Sean is already four months old and I am just putting the final touches on his woodland nursery.  Mostly all of my projects are finished except for the walls.  I had so much fun making this shadowbox for his room.


I started with the Photo Shadowbox Tray and Red Sampler Pack (see links below) from Craftistas.  The sampler pack included some great papers, scraps of fabric, twine, clips, envelopes and tags.


I started to lay out photos and papers to fit in the compartments. When I was sure about the layout I trimmed the papers to fit and attached them using craft glue.


I have wanted to make those little champagne cork mushrooms that are popping up all over the web, but wasn't sure before what to do with them.  Then I realized if I cut the corks in half they were the perfect touch for this!  I simply cut two champagne corks in half, very carefully, with a serrated bread knife.  


First I painted the bottom halves with white paint, and then the top halves with red.


After they were dry I added in a few details - spots and blades of grass.  I love how they turned out!

Finally making some of these champagne cork cuties

I added a few other fun details by using the mini clothespins from my sampler pack (great way to easily change out a photo) and using cut out letters. I used a cutting machine to cut some of the paper included in my sampler pack, but you could cut them by hand or use stickers.


I ended up leaving a few spaces "blank," or just filled in with patterned papers to add more mementos and photos as Sean gets older. Here is the finished project:  



I'll show you how cute it looks hanging on his wall (and the rest of the nursery) soon!

And below is the information to get the supplies you need (don't forget the "craft13" code to get 10% off):


Comments

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! I try to answer as many as I can, but if you need an answer and don't have an email address linked to your profile, I will reply here. Thanks!

Popular Posts