Sewing Books: Patchwork USA


 It feels like the world has turned upside down since my last blog post.  I don't have the words to even begin to discuss that here now.  Please just know that I am in a place of deep empathy for every one being affecting by the outbreak and am praying for all of us.  

 Our libraries closed this past week and the only silver lining I can find there (other than flattening the curve of the infected) is that means we can keep all the books we had already checked out for an extended time.  I was fortunate enough to have a nice little stack, not nearly as tall as I would have planned out with notice, but certainly enough to keep me busy for a while.  One of the favorites in that stack is Heidi Staples' Patchwork USA.



 I'm a longtime follower of Heidi's blog, Fabric Mutt, because her style really resonates with me. I was delighted to open the book and find several projects I wanted to make right away.  And I was very appreciative of the tips she shared on fabric selection.  She's such a pro at that! I started with the Beachcomber Bag shown above.  It got filled with some self care items and sent off to a friend who was dealing with a family health crises. It sounds like it was well received. I'm already planning my next one!


  Next up was the e-Reader cover.  My poor kindle was living in a re-purposed zip pouch for going on ten (?!) years.  I'm not sure how I let that situation drag on for quite that long, but I am so glad I finally remedied it.  I love my new case and I even added some fabric "stamps" to the back.


 I have a feeling you may see a follow up post as I'm sure to find more inspiration in this sweet book.  Oh, and just one thing, if you do make something from it, Heidi has as very short page of errata for the US edition here.

Happy reading, happy sewing and just hang in there.  Wash your hands.  Stay home.



Comments

Popular Posts